Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Peanut by any other name...

It doesn't matter if Peanut is a Boy or a Girl. I don't think Tom and I will be able to decide on a name either way. Tom has his idea of what makes a good name and I have mine and there isn't a lot of meeting in the middle. Tom likes more traditional names, preferably with family ties. I want "different" names. Names with a little funk to them. I always hated how popular Jennifer was for a name. There were usually three or four of us in each class (and that was in North Adams.) Tom had a similar experience, but it didn't affect him the way it did me.

A friend of ours had a baby Dec. 30th and had a nice, unusual name for their new son. I loved it. I did an Internet search for it to see how popular it was and what it's origins were. I found a website called thinkbabynames.com. It was well put together and had charts on popularity and whether it was increasing or decreasing in popularity. You can also search by country. I thought Tom and I were picking some more unusual names, but was dismayed to find many of them were in the top 100. Back to the drawing boards I guess. Peanut works fine for now, but I don't know that Peanut Person would be a long term solution.

I started reading What to Expect When You're Expecting recently and skipped over the first three months to Month 4. Once I got to that chapter though, I found that the book actually puts me in month 5 (weeks 18-22, I'll be 20 weeks tomorrow.) I find the whole month/week transition very confusing. I find it much easier to say "I'm X weeks" rather then "I'm X months." I don't know if it's because I know when we conceived or what makes it so confusing, but I just can't make the week/month conversion work.

1 comment:

Jonathan H. Liu said...

Well, I've heard it said that you can get away with more unusual girl names but with boys you better stick with traditional. I'm not entirely convinced--we were considering some less-common names for boys--but that may explain why Tom was more comfortable being "Tom" but you didn't like being one "Jennifer" among many. I actually never disliked being "Jonathan."